Investigating breath support, vibrato and reed-making refinements across the World’s major styles, this unique and comprehensive book explains perfect intonation in both scales along with choices of cane, staple, gouger, shaper, knife & profiler, to offer predictable control over every aspect of tone and response.
Graham Salter is one of Britain’s most widely experienced oboists, teachers and coaches. He held the position of Cor Anglais at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden after that of Principal Oboe in the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, records in the film studios, and has performed as a guest with every major orchestra in Britain. A former Editor for BDRS / DRN, he gives masterclasses and tuition widely, plays recitals choosing between five sizes of the modern oboe, and appears regularly as a concerto soloist.
|Pages||556 pages, including 16 pages in full colour|
|Size||240 x 170 mm|
|Note||82 World Interviews, 115 Colour Photos of Reeds with Complete Measurements, American Recommended Workflow, Tests and Checks|
- “I hope that many oboists will know and read your book, and will learn that the differences in style and instrument are the pepper and salt in our music-making. My great admiration for your work: I feel this is going to be an important book for the oboe world that has so few publications when compared with the flute, and am glad and feel honoured that the Dutch school of oboe playing is to be included and given attention.”
Han de Vries
- “Your researches give a new impulse and open new borders. Your thorough study and desire to embrace so many parameters and different styles inspire my deep respect.”
- “A great help for oboe players and for the reed world.”
José Luis García
- "A comprehensive survey of such value: the book will be a great success.”
- “A most interesting and useful publication for many oboists.”
- "Meeting and speaking with such a special person as Graham Salter has given me great inspiration to see my reed-making personal history in a wider perspective."